Some links may be affiliate links. I may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these (at no cost to you).
Sweet potatoes are one of my all-time favorite foods. Diced, mashed, sliced thin for homemade fries, I will take them every which way. That’s probably one reason why this sweet potato hash recipe is one of my go-to breakfasts.
I make this simple sweet potato hash with sweet potatoes, red onion, and kale. That’s it! Sometimes I’ll eat it plain (with hot sauce) or pair it with an over-easy egg or two, plus avocado to create a well-rounded and delicious breakfast bowl.
Sweet potato benefits
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta carotene, vitamin C, and potassium. This means they’re supporting your eyes, heart, and immune system (which is especially vital during a time where we’re all focused on staying healthy!). Sweet potatoes also have a relatively high fiber content, which is touted as being beneficial for gut health while also potentially reducing the risk of diabetes.
Get creative with it
Cooking up the sweet potatoes with onions and kale creates a nutrient-dense breakfast hash that will leave you feeling satisfied but not stuffed. While these are my core three ingredients, I encourage you to mix it up with whatever other produce you have hanging around in the fridge. I’ve used peppers, mushrooms, green onion, and jalapeño in this recipe before, and it was terrific. Think of this sweet potato hash recipe as your base to add on with whatever your tastebuds can handle!
This recipe makes multiple servings, so I can usually get breakfast for two or more days or feed my husband and still manage a little leftover. It is also easy to double this recipe to provide enough leftovers for the whole week!
I love this sweet potato hash recipe because it’s simple, low effort, and is light on the cleanup! If a recipe calls for pulling out five gadgets and 47 utensils and dishes, I’m likely to pass! Since this recipe only needs a cutting board and a pan, clean up is minimal!
Easy 3 Ingredient Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil or other cooking oil of choice
- 2 Sweet Potatoes medium-sized
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 2 oz Kale about one handful
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper optional if you want to spice things up a bit!
- Peel sweet potatoes and dice into ½ inch cubes.
- Heat a large pan on the stovetop over medium heat and add olive oil to the pan.
- When oil is hot, add diced sweet potatoes. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes start to turn brown and soften.
- While sweet potato is cooking, dice onion and roughly chop kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Once potatoes have browned, add red onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally, until onions start to brown.
- Add kale, salt, and pepper (and cayenne pepper if you're using it). Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes, or until kale is wilted.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Like what you’ve read? Sign up below to make sure you never miss a post and download my weekly dinner plan printable for free!
2 thoughts on “Simple 3 Ingredient Sweet Potato Hash Recipe”
I love this! Thanks for the idea! I have been looking for new breakfast “to go” things to take and warm up at work and this is perfect 🙂
Awesome, this breakfast definitely reheats well. I just did this morning! I hope you enjoy!